Pages

Saturday 20 July 2013

The Long Weekend. Chapter2

After yesterday's foray in to Leeds' cultural heart I decided to get back to earth for toady's daddy daycare adventure.  Earlier this year I sponsored a pig at Swillington Farm, with the sole intention of eating the whole beast from nose to tail*.  We have been visiting the farm every couple of weeks ever since to check on his progress.  Today we took the short drive out of Leeds to visit Breakfast.

Although it was only a short visit it was clearly an exciting one.  My piggy was sleeping in the shade of his sty but some of his younger cousins were happily running about the place.  We also saw the chickens and turkeys.  It was all enough to wear R out completely.  After yesterday's nap fail, I got a good two hour nap out of him this afternoon.

One of the things that saddens me about living in the UK at the moment are the constant reports that children don't know where their food comes from.  That milk comes from a cow and that chicken comes from chickens shouldn't be a surprise to teenagers.  As a bit of a food obsessive I refuse to allow this to happen to R.  He already knows where milk, chicken and ham comes from.  He has eaten whole fish with gusto.  He has eaten a wider variety of food in his two and a half years than I had eaten by the time I was 18.

Taking him to the farm reinforces the early message that animals free to roam around are happy.  In turn, I hope that this turns into knowledge that happy animals make good food.  You have to start these things at some point and there is no time like the present.

Z comes home tomorrow but not before our final adventure of the weekend.  I hope R will have lots to tell her about his time with daddy.

*to read more about my adventures in pork click here.

2 comments:

  1. what's the plan when it comes to slaughtering? too young?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D day is in September. I doubt I'll get to go to the slaughter but I will be involved in the butchery.

      Delete