Pages

Friday 19 July 2013

The Long Weekend. Chapter1

We've been quite lucky with the way things have panned out since we had R.  Yes the start was far from ideal, but everything seems to have worked out for the best.  Even having my hours at work reduced to save the company money meant that I could dedicate more time to being a dad.  Every Friday was "Daddy Daycare".  We went swimming, fed the ducks and generally mucked about together.

Z's maternity leave came to an end at the same time as I was asked to go back to work full time.  Since then Daddy Daycare has been limited to the odd Saturday or Sunday so that Z could have a day to herself.  This weekend Z is off gallivanting around Wales on a Hen Do and I am back holding the reins.  I've tried to organise at least one thing for each of the three days with the express hope that R's afternoon nap won't let me down.

Today, with Z dropped off at Leeds Train Station, I made a small picnic and we set off to spend the morning at Leeds City Museum.  This is, without a doubt, one of my favourite places in Leeds.  I have and will continue to spend hours walking around the museum.  Perhaps one day, when R is a little older, I might get to look at some of the exhibits instead of toddler wrangling may way from Stone Age Yorkshire to modern Leeds.  Until that day I'm happy enough.  The place is full of child friendly interactive activities, which R gets more out of with every visit, and he loves toddler town and the tiger.

We left the museum and made our way across town to Park square to have our picnic.  There were probably too many "suits" for the squirrels to be out and about but that small detail couldn't spoil our lunch.  R is a good eater but the promise of cake for pudding made the sandwiches disappear in double quick time.

I was ready to go home after lunch but he had other ideas.  Our route to Park Square had taken us past the City Gallery and R wanted to look around there too.  Sadly this extra jaunt knocked my afternoon plans for six.  I'd hoped to get him home before the afternoon nap kicked in but alas he slept on the way home and promptly woke up the second I put the key in the front door.

I still had the chores to do that I was going to tackle while he slept, so I moved some of his toys into the kitchen so we could play while I cooked and cleaned.  The afternoon could never match up to the fun morning that we'd had but it was no disaster.  The only tantrum of the day came at bath time.  For some reason R has decided that he doesn't like baths.  That is until he is in one splashing around and then it's impossible to get him out and dried.

We said good night after a couple of stories and the day was made complete as he muttered "love you too daddy" as I laid him in bed.  There is only a day and a half left until Z gets home, we both miss her but I love spending time like this with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment